Monday, October 3, 2011

It's Raining! It's Pouring!


Certainly nothing new to a girl who's lived in Oregon for her entire life. In winter we don't get snow, we get rain and lots of it. One full winter alone offers more than enough time for rain-based thought and I've often thought about how much bank you would make if you somehow collected all of our rainwater (God knows we don't want it) and send it off to somewhere that needs (read: wants) it like, say, the Middle East or the Sahara desert.

All this to say, I thought I knew everything there is to know about rainy weather.

Enter Typhoon Nanmadol.

This lovely little rainstorm (sarcasm) has been watering the parched landscape (more sarcasm) since Friday.

I've already had several run-ins with Typhoon Nanmadol, the most notable being when I was soaked on my way home from the train station Friday night. Lucky for me, it's still warm when it rains so I'm not sick.. Yet.

The typhoon spited me again yesterday when it made going to the top of the second tallest building in the world (Taipei 101) completely pointless. Not happy. I had to walk around a mall that literally reeked of riches instead. That was torture, let me tell you.

The only good thing it's done is free me from school at 11am instead of the usual 5:10pm. A flimsy reason you might say, but check out these photos --->

LOOK AT HOW DEEP THAT WATER IS!!

These girls are only in ankle deep water but there were spots where the water went halfway up my calf!

Not only were the track and field completely flooded, but walkways of the lower levels on some of the buildings were almost non-navigable from all the water. (It was more annoying than anything else because the water was quick to soak any part of you it could reach.)

Needless to say, by 10am everyone had removed their wet socks and rolled up their pants. Some even ditched their shoes so they could take a romp in the newly created Yan-Lang lake during their twenty minute break.

I am unashamed to say that I joined them and frolicked like a little water nymph. I couldn't stay away. When the girls went back to their classes I made up excuses to leave so I could walk through the monster puddle.

Not that I really needed the excuses. Nobody expects me to stay in class anyway...

It's now almost 5pm and still raining. Maybe we won't have school tomorrow... Crossing my fingers AND my toes on that one. :D

I wonder if all the tricks you do to summon snow days would work for typhoon days... Hmmm....

Zaijan!
Kat

By the way.. these pictures aren't mine. Credit to 李怡萱, 戴婕, and 柯苦馨! Thanks for posting these pictures ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment